Working at Food for Friends
We are always on the hunt for new talent and fresh ideas, whether on the floor or in the kitchen. In return we provide great training and opportunities for progression in an award winning restaurant in the beautiful Brighton Lanes.
If you’d like to be part of our adventure then please email a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chef de Partie
- A minimum of 2 years of previous experience as a Chef de Partie
- A relevant trade commercial cookery qualification, e.g NVQ Level 3
- Excellent communication skills
- Achieved Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
- Passion and pride about the food you craft, prepare and cook.
- Be a team player and feed into our mission of redefining vegetarian and vegan food.
- Leave your ego at the door – be ready to join a team where respect for your fellow staff members is paramount.
- Hungry learners only please! Be motivated to develop and get better every day.
A Chef de Partie will supervise staff and ensure high levels of food preparation. You will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Ensure all food preparation meets standards
- Prepare and present high quality food
- Keep all working areas clean and tidy and ensure no cross contamination
- Prepare all mise-en-place for all relevant menus
- Ensure food is stored correctly
- Contribute to controlling costs, improving gross profit margins
- Maintain a good working relationships with front go house staff
- Assist Head Chef/Sous Chef in the training of all staff
- Report maintenance, hygiene and hazard issues
- Comply with security, fire regulations and all health and safety and food safety legislation
- Be environmentally aware
What we can offer in return:
- A competitive salary.
- A fun and purpose-driven working environment surrounded by a great team of people.
- Training and development to help you excel in your career.
- Bonus schemes developed by staff themselves.
- Straight shift pattern setup to ensure you’re never overworked.
- Staff ambassadors to support with problems and issues you face at work and outside of it.
- Free meals on duty – enjoy award-winning food every day.
- Staff referral bonuses – get rewarded for helping us fill positions.
- Big discounts when dining with friends and family.
- Renowned positive working environment and culture.
- Free staff drinks after shifts.
- Input into decision making – we pride ourselves on listening to every member of staff’s ideas about how to make Food For Friends a better restaurant and place to work.
We are always on the hunt for passion and talent. If you’d like to be considered for our team, whether it’s part of the kitchen or front-of-house, please forward your up-to-date C.V. and covering letter to email@example.com.
What’s it like to work at Food For Friends?
Food For Friends has always been an innovating institution. This is obvious from our food, being the original vegetarian restaurant in Brighton, but it’s also integral to how we operate and treat our staff. It’s why we’ve had some of the same staff working for us for years and years.
What we offer
Our staff are our most valuable asset, and we let them know by how we treat them. We know that people are proud to work for Food For Friends, and a big part of that is our culture of looking after employees. Here are just a few things we offer…
A tronc system developed by staff
Our staff receive service charge and tips from our tronc system in a way that was developed and defined by the staff themselves. This provides a fair group distribution of tips and service charges for everyone at every level of customer service, whether you’re cooking the food that the customer eats or meeting the customer at the door.
Targets are developed by managers along with their staff to set a group goal to tackle. These are targets set by higher-ups or people outside of your department – they’re the issues you and your team would like to focus upon with discussion from your manager. If you achieve your targets, you get a bonus.
We offer training and development opportunities for all staff, as decided upon by them in conjunction with their manager. We’re proud to offer training packages that our staff need and that will help them grow and develop towards the career they want.
Free meals on duty
All staff are fed with award-winning Food For Friends meals whilst on duty. Experience some of the best vegetarian food in the UK, every day. Also be among the first to try brand new dishes to the menu.
50% off when visiting with a friend
We offer discounts when visiting with friends. Get 50% when it’s you and a friend, or receive 30% off when you visit with a group.
Refer staff and get a reward
The best people know the best people. That’s why we offer our staff a £200 referral bonus if they send a new team member our way. It helps us to find the best people, but we also know a new member of staff will get to know the ropes much faster if they have friends already on the team. Help us recruit for positions and you could be rewarded.
Single shifts for good morale
We are an exception in the restaurant industry, as we provide single shift patterns for staff. Staff will typically work a maximum of 10 hours. This means you’re never overworked and stressed from long shifts.
Free beer and wine after your shifts
Get some downtime with your team after your shifts – we supply free beer and wine after shifts so that you can relax and be rewarded.
Our staff are our best decision makers, so we involve them as much as possible in sourcing decisions. From trips to local farms to support our locally sourced food ethos, to trips abroad for wine tasting with the best vineyards in Europe to add to our wine selection.
And of course no staff team would be complete without plenty of downtime to relax and get to know each other. We host regular staff parties for just that reason.
What we expect
Friendships thrive when both sides meet each other’s expectations. That’s why, for any of our roles, we have some basic expectations.
Working with Food For Friends isn’t about the scramble to the top of a career ladder. It isn’t about blame or infighting. We operate as a close-knit group of staff who all get on, support each other, and always do our utmost to respect and provide for one another. This is why we have staff ambassadors who are always there for you, but it’s important that you bring the right attitude to work every day.
Work doesn’t feel like work when you’re driven by purpose, and at Food For Friends our purpose is simple: to provide groundbreaking food that changes the way we view vegetarian and vegan cuisine. We have been doing this since 1981, and it’s this passion from our staff that helps us do it better year after year after year.
We don’t do backstabbing. We don’t do staff gossip. We do honesty. Our employees are honest with each other and work together to solve problems. We do frank and honest conversations, guided by staff ambassadors.
Be ready to learn
Every day is different at Food For Friends. Some things will go really well, but we know that failures can happen too and that things can go wrong. We don’t blame people for this, we just expect them to learn from it, and in time teach what you’ve learned to others as well.
Every job will have its own list of expectations, but the above are absolutely essential to working at Food For Friends and is why we’re renowned for our fantastic working environment. If you think you can offer these things then we look forward to a beautiful friendship.
We look forward to hearing from you.